Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

AFC Half Marathon

Pop Quiz:

1.) Did you know that I LOVE to run in races? Shocking, I know. Yesterday was the AFC (America's Finest City) half marathon in San Diego. I think the name should officially be changed to the AHASC (America's Hottest and Sweatiest City) half marathon. Much more fitting. It was close to 85 degrees with probably 90% humidity.

Before the sweatiness
2.) Did you know that it's possible to sweat out your weight during a half marathon? Yes, it's true. You know that awesome feeling after a steaming, hot shower right before you reach for your towel? Well, imagine that feeling (minus the "awesome" part) but there's no towel. Then you decide- you know what's a good idea? Running 13.1 miles. Yep. That was me. (Don't worry, I had clothes on).

On a positive note, I actually felt pretty good and had a fun time on the race course. It was a beautiful course that started at the Naval Base in San Diego and ended in Balboa Park. Granted, I could barely see anything because of the salty sweat flooding into my eyes, but from what I made out of the blurred colors and shapes, it sure was gorgeous! I didn't get a PR, but I'll take a 1:37.22!
Dan the Man and I!  Nice work, buddy!

Pretty amazing view!
3.) Who cares about a timing chip?That's the question that went through my head as I arrived at the starting line yesterday. We were bussed out to the starting line at 5AM and while sitting on the bus I realized my timing chip was sitting comfortably in my car, next to my comfortably sleeping husband. Given the race day heat, I decided it was probably a blessing. I blame my forgetfullness on Jake. He was being so wonderful and sweet in the car that couldn't stay focused on the task at hand.


My Favorite Running Skirt Twins, Cindy and Christy!
4.) Did you know that Jake is an amazing cheerleader? Let's be honest, who get's up at 4AM only to sit in the car for 4 hours until your wife finishes a race? Luckily I supplied him with a pillow, blanket (clearly unnecessary), breakfast, and two cups of coffee. There is nothing I look forward to more than seeing his big smile as I run toward the finish line. I'd love to have captured his face on camara after I finished. It was a Ewwww...you're-so-sweaty-but-omg-I-love-you-but-don't-you-dare-touch-me-with-your-sweatiness face. I don't blame him. I was gross. :)


Happy Monday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment