Image Map

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Outhouses.

Our house has been a bit of a petrie dish in the last couple of weeks.  I blame daycare.  Supposedly all of these bugs will make Gavin's immune system stronger, but I sure could do without them! Gavin recovered very quickly from his stomach flu last weekend, just in time for me to get his sinus congestion.  Thursday night was a rough night when both Jake and my sister came down with his stomach flu also!  They are feeling much better but I was crossing my fingers and toes that I would be spared.

No such luck. 

This morning Michelle and I had 20 miles on the books. Yesterday I felt off, but I assumed that was from taking care of Jake all night. I try not to take medicine of any kind, but I actually took some Zofran (anti-nausea medication) to try to make it through the day. It shook away the quesiness although my tummy was very "rumbly" all day.  I must be a bit of a die-hard because I refused to let any sort of quesy or rumbling stomach hold me back from running 20 miles.  

I woke up at 5:30 feeling great so I quickly threw on my running clothes, had a date with my Medela pump, scarfed down some food, and drove to our meeting place.  (I do not recommend scarfing down food 30 minutes before a 20 mile run! I am horrible about allowing myself extra time in the morning.)  Our plan was a 10 mile loop back to our cars (for a water break), followed by 10 miles out and back. The first 7 miles felt great!  Then, like a thief in the night... it hit.  I somehow made it the 3 more miles to an outhouse (thank GOODNESS for outhouses near the trail!), which helped me feel better slightly.  I was stubborn and still refused to miss out on my long run, so I continued with Michelle until we hit the 12 mile mark.

Despite feeling like poo (no pun intended),
Michelle and I were very excited to see an Eagle on the trail!
Bald Eagle hanging out on our run
At that point, I was slowing wayyy down and didn't want to take away from her workout.  I told her to power ahead and my pace got slower and slower... but I continued!  Eight more miles and 2 more outhouse visits later.... I did it.  I pushed through 20 miles!  (Please disregard my pace! I'm just happy I finished)


Am I proud?  A little.  Am I crazy?  Yes.  I do not encourage you to make the decisions I made today... it was not fun.  But next week is a cut-back week so I am looking forward to decreased mileage next weekend!

My day involved some rest, chugging of Pedialite, bites of applesauce and a lot of entertainment from the cutest little singer and dancer I know.


To all the moms out there, exactly how does one truly recover with a one-year-old in the house? Chasing around Gavin is almost as much of a workout as a 20 mile run!  When my stomach began to feel a bit less angry, we decided to venture into the sun and take Diego for a walk to Gavin's all time-favorite place... the park. 
Heyyyyyy, just dancing.  NBD.
(I promise to never use than acronym again).
Old picture, but one of my favorites from the park!
I'm hoping we're over all of the germs for a while! 

Have any of you ever had a horrible run involving outhouses? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?? :)

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe you finished all 20 miles! What we don't do for our crazy running hobby. (Often times more than a hobby!) I have yet to take Cullen to the park. I should do that!

    ReplyDelete