Image Map

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Running and Breastfeeding

A friend of mine from The Runner's Plate just had an adorable little guy, Cullen, a few months ago. She asked me for pointers on long distance running and breastfeeding - and though I'm no expert, I'm proud to say I've been able to exclusively breastfeed Gavin and continue to run for the past 10 months!  I had been working on a post for months about breastfeeding, so this prompted me to actually finish it!!

This is likely not going to be very entertaining for those of you who aren't lactating (so I suggest closing this window ASAP !)... but I hope it helps those of you continue to nourish your baby and yourself by running!

First off, if you were anything like me, you read a gazillion blogs about how to keep your supply strong and run a lot of miles.  I think there are some essential tips, but I also believe it comes down to your natural milk production and also the way your body handles physical stress. Some may bounce back quickly, others not so much.  With that said...


1) Listen to your body.  You are feeding a little human who needs your milk. Running 60+ miles per week while feeding a baby may be possible but I can't say I've done it. My mileage tops out around 40-45 miles/wk and I don't notice any dip in milk supply. My priorities changed the second I held Gavin in my arms, and I wouldn't change that for anything. Yes, I'm still obsessed with running but my miles are about quality not quantity these days.

Running with the G-Man. 
Training takes on a whole new meaning!
2.) HYDRATE! May seem obvious, but it's easily overlooked. Bring a handheld bottle, water belt, or camelback for runs over an hour. It's no fun to lug it around, but it helps to keep you hydrated and keep the milk flowing. Also drink a lot before and after runs. And with a baby or without, just do a quick pee check. If your urine is straw colored, you're well hydrated. Yellow- chug, chug, chug. Clear- over hydrated and you risk becoming hyponatremic (or having other electrolyte disturbances).


3.) Obviously, fuel the machine! Breastfeeding burns a lot of calories, and so does running. Wahoo! Now go eat some cake and cookies! Not. Focus on healthy, nutrient dense foods like green,leafy vegetables, avocados, beans, whole grains, nuts (if you're not allergic) chia/flax seeds, fruits, etc. Okay, and yes a cookie here and there is a good idea too. After all, you are a super mother runner who deserves a treat!

Source

4.) Mother's Milk Tea. I drink this one, but there are many on the market that I'm sure work well!! I have 2-3 cups per day because I love the stuff, but if I feel like my milk took a hit, I drink more. I don't know if it's a placebo but I think it works! I also have friends that swear by More Milk Plus (they make capsules and drops), so you could give that a shot too if you find your milk supply decreasing.


5.) Prenatal Vitamin + Calcium/Vitamin D. Take daily. Every. Single. Day. While breastfeeding your body depletes it's own calcium stores to provide for baby. This means less bone density... Which means increased risk for stress fracture and osteoporosis. All bad things. Take one daily and thank me later!

Yum yum yum. Yes, I am 5 years old and
still eat gummy vitamins.
6.) Find your "happy mileage" and be okay with it. Now is not the time to break records (but if it is for you... you are my hero!). Your body will tell you that you are overdoing it in one of these ways: milk supply decreases, exhaustion/being sick, you get injured, or running just isn't fun anymore. 

7.) Sleep at least 8 hours at night. HA! Sorry, You just had a baby! If you're lucky and your baby is a great sleeper.... stop reading now, drive to my house, and put a magic spell on Gavin to teach him to sleep. And consider yourself lucky. I haven't slept for a stretch longer than four hours in over a year (I didn't sleep much in my last trimester of pregnancy). Sleep is the best medicine. It allows your body and mind to recover, so if possible, take a nap. Or if you're really struggling, don't get out of bed to run, sleep instead. You risk injury and sleep-deprivation induced psychosis if you don't get enough sleep!

Not my baby, but Gavin shares the same sentiment.
8.) Ramp up your mileage slowly. Follow the 10% rule. Do not add on to your weekly total by more than 10% (e.g. start with 20 miles/wk, only add on 2 the next week, etc.) - and definitely don't add on to long runs more than one mile at a time. See how your body recovers with this mileage and go from there. Don't worry, you'll be back to your old mileage in no time!

9.) Breastfeed (or pump) right before running. You will be a lot more comfortable during the run if you can empty everything before running. If you're at a race and can't have baby with you right before the start to nurse, bring a hand pump, find a secluded area and pump away. Yes, I did this in the bushes right before my last race. Some fellow racer even walked up on the sight... Probably not what he wanted to see before racing! Haha.

Only a mom would understand!
10.) Breastfeed (or pump) right after you run! You will need it and baby will too :) Luckily I never had a problem with Gavin averting to my milk after running. I had read some babies notice a change in the taste of your milk from lactic acid, but Gavin never complained.

My first race after Gavin!

11.) Let down happens. Sometimes if I'm thinking about Gavin, or just randomly... I will let down while running. Apply pressure with your arms while running... And hope for the best! Haha. If you're wearing a padded sport bra, it shouldn't be an issue but just remember it happens... Especially with longer runs. 

12.) Definitely invest in a good-quality sports bra. If you're in the first 6 months of breastfeeding, you may be more comfortable with 2 sports bras.  After that, things usually mellow out and you aren't as "full."

I TRULY hope this helps you in your decision to run and breastfeed.  You are doing the best thing for baby by feeding him your milk, so do whatever you can to keep up!  It's such a gift to be able to do both, so I wish you luck!  I'm happy to take e-mails with any questions here .

Running distance with a breastfed baby is challenging... but SO rewarding!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'd be so embarrassed if someone saw me pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love posts like these! Sometimes it's really hard to find others out there that are endurance athletes and breastfeeding. I'm still breastfeeding my 20 month old, and just did an Ironman about a month and a half ago. Love your tips, and wholeheartedly agree!

    ReplyDelete