Image Map

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Me? Busy? Never.

Okay, I've been a slacker.  I didn't even finish my grateful postings last week.  I promise I've been grateful, just slightly busier than normal.  I'll spare you the: "woe is me, I have a to-do list that stretches from here to Tibet" because let's be honest, we all are busy in our own ways and my list doesn't trump yours! That's a crazy little thing called life.  :)

Finals are NEXT week.  You know what that means, cramming. Writing papers.  Creating presentations. It also means that I need to resort to as many motivational techniques as possible.  Like this:

I'm leaving for Stanford this weekend. As much as I'm dreading finals, I am so excited to see all of my classmates that I'm pretty excited to get there! Leaving for Stanford brings me one step closer to a little place called HOME.  If I survive all of my finals, I will be on flight to the cold north next Friday!  "Excited" barely encompasses how I feel about this!

It will be very hard to leave San Diego, of course.  I'll miss my work buddies, my awesome friends and the beautiful "fall colors."
December and it's finally Fall in San Diego. 
I'll miss you Mr. Giraffe (he hangs out in the lobby at our clinic). 
But mostly, it is going to be so hard to leave my Grandma and Dad (my Mom had to leave on Monday for a scheduled trip to AK).  I'm sorry for not doing Grandma updates lately, but you'll be happy to hear she's making great strides - with a few bumps in the road.  She has good days and bad days- as you can imagine.  Monday was probably one of the worst days she has had yet.  The pain medications are making her extremely nauseous and constipated (most common side effects), so it was challenging for her to eat the food that she needs to heal! Without eating, she developed low blood sugar which caused scary side effects, but as soon as she was given sugar, she improved.

After getting some Zofran for nausea, she felt much better and yesterday was a very good day! She was up walking around the building, doing her exercises with the PT, and had a much more positive attitude.  I've been visiting her every day after work- it's about a 30-45 minute drive from my house each way, but completely worth the trip every time.  I love being able to sit and talk, catch up on the past years of being apart, and watch Chopped on the Food Network with someone who appreciates the show as much as I do. :) I'm realizing more and more just how alike we are.  As horrible as the whole situation has been, we have spent more quality time together the past 2 weeks than in my entire life.  My Grandma is one tough lady and such an inspiration!  Please keep her in your prayers- although she's on the mend, she has a long road of recovery ahead.

I got Grandma a Christmas tree to make it feel a little more like home! 
She gets things like Filet Mignon, Prime Rib, and Lobster for dinner ever night! 
It's going to be hard to leave my Dad who has been the ROCK in this whole situation.  He is the most patient and selfless person I know.  He spends 8-10 hours at the care facility with my Grandma; helping ease her fears, adjusting pillows, answering her questions, and helping take care of arrangements for when they go back to SLC- all while I'm sure he is worrying but not showing an ounce of fear.  His faith shines through and it shows me how to "let GO and let GOD." They are not sure when she will be released to fly home, but hopefully before Christmas. I wish I could come back after finals to help, but neither my Grandma nor my parents would let me skip Alaska.  Or Jake.  I think he might miss me just a little bit.  :)

This weekend was my awesommmeeee Christmas work party.  The most beautiful house I've ever seen; delicious food, fabulous company, and so many laughs my jaw still hurts.
My "work" family.  I love seeing their faces every day.  So blessed. 
My parents got to be there!  Love these two!
That's the update for now. There's a big chance I might disappear for the next 10 days, but I'll try to say hello and update how Grandma is doing.  THANK YOU for the texts, emails, and calls to check in on her.  You are all so supportive and my family appreciates it IMMENSELY.  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment