Image Map

Friday, April 8, 2011

Lessons Learned in Lima...

Here are my lessons learned today:

1.) Riding in a car with a Peruvian driver = scary.  Crossing a street while trying to avoid being hit by a Peruvian driver= even scarier!

2.) Owls are a symbol of good luck here.  After explaining to my cab driver where I was from, he proceeded to ask if there were owls there.

3.) It is normal to have Guinea Pig for lunch. No big deal. (No, I could not bring myself to try it!)

4.) Be careful while running on cobblestone or you will trip and fall on your face.  (Yes, I did do this.)

5.) Peruvians LOVE mayonnaise. On just about everything! Care for a little mayo on your salad? No?!

6.) Catacombs are amazing! I had the opportunity to stand among 100,000 bodies with no barrier between myself and mass amounts of femurs, skulls, humerus bones, etc.

7.) A common remedy for almost everything is Mate de Coco, a delicious tea that is illegal in the United States. Come to find out it is actually made from cocaine leaves. I think I had four cups today! Don't worry, they say it's only 0.4% cocaine.

8.) Stop signs, crosswalks, traffic lights, and blinkers are more of a general suggestion than a law. (See number one for more information.)

9.) Inca Cola is the number one drink of choice here. Every store, stand, billboard advertises the neon yellow soda. To see what the fuss is about, I tried it today. It was essentially like liquid bubble gum. I think I'll stick to water for now!

10.) The sky in Lima can turn shades of pink, purple, red, and orange. We saw the most stunning sunset over the Plaza de Armas tonight. An amazing end to an amazing day!

1 comment:

  1. Was it scarier than driving in Zanzibar?? I was just thinking about that on Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete