Image Map

Monday, April 18, 2011

Things I take for granted in Alaska:

1.) Punctuality. Welcome to the world of waiting "solo diez o viente minutos"... 90 minutes later, we ate our lunch!
2.) A big, tall glass of delicious Alaskan tap water. Bottled Peruvian water just isn't the same!
3.) Toilet seats.
4.) Toilet paper. Never, ever go anywhere in Peru without TP.
5.) Toilets, period. Hole in the ground, anyone?
6.) Using car horns for emergency purposes only. (Here, it can mean: go, stop, watch out, I'm about to run a red light, so either move or get hit, hey gringo, you need a cab?, this traffic is ridiculous, so I'm going to honk and maybe it will move faster... It's more of a constant cacophony versus the occasional obnoxious honk.)
7.) Warm showers... Oh how I dream of a nice, steaming, hot shower!
8.) Clean clothes. Still wearing the same clothes I brought down to Peru. Thank goodness for Febreeze and a nice family who doesn't tell you if you really do smell! :)
9.) Dogs having owners. There are SO many strays here, it breaks my heart. I wish I could take them all home!
10.) This is definitely my number one... Being able to run outside. It's possible here, but it's more of an obstacle course: avoid crazy drivers, don't trip on the cobblestone streets(which we all know I've been known to do!), watch out for stray dogs, avoid the men shouting, "corre, gringa, corre!" (run, white girl, run!), oh such an adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment