Image Map

Monday, May 2, 2011

Peruvian Time


Fact: Things just move slower in Peru.

When walking down the street, people tend to move at a very leisurely pace, even when they are running late. If you happen to say, "tengo prisa!" (I'm in a hurry), they give you either a glare or a deer-in-the-headlights blank stare. Unlike a certain someone who is used to mapping every second of the day (e.g. wake up at 4:45AM, gym at 5:30AM, work from 7:30AM-4:30PM, run at 5:00PM, 6:00-11:00PM to include: grocery store, clean the floors, study/work on applications, cook, eat, spend time with friends/family, get stuff ready for tomorrow, fall asleep while reading and... repeat! Who could this be?!), their days are less rushed.  Time is spent doing what is absolutely necessary with the ones they love: Relaxed breakfast, leisurely walk to work, walk home to have a gigantic lunch, 2-hour siesta, walk back to work, walk home and enjoy a light dinner with family and friends.  That is not to say that life is not hard here.  I cannot even begin to fathom the stressors that they face on a daily basis!  As I said above, things just move slower, not easier. 

That being said, it has been a challenge to adapt to their slow pace.  I love the lifestyle: A built in naptime for adults?  Sign me up!  Required lunch breaks?! Yes, please! Walking everywhere? Sounds amazing! But when it comes business, (specifically the LAN airlines lost luggage department) it is a whole different story.  Two days have passed since my luggage disappeared, and the airlines doesn't seem to think it's an issue.  I have called probably 15 times, spoken to different people (in Spanish, which is frustrating in itself!), to find out, "Lo siento señorita, no sabemos nada.  Pero estamos buscando." (Sorry Miss, we don't know anything.  But we are looking.)  I suppose it is a blessing that they are speaking in Spanish because my vocabulary isn't good enough to tell them what I really want to say.  I am trying to change my frame of mind today, because I know everything happens for a reason.  Either this is a really mean lesson in surviving as a smelly person, or it's a lesson in handling things outside my control.  I suppose it's the latter, but I definitely do not smell very good!  I am very grateful that I have my sister here to lend me clothes and shoes, and I am learning that things can be easily replaced.  Well, everything except for the 5 lb block of Cheddar Cheese that I was bringing down for Amber.  Mmm... can you imagine how good my clothes are going to smell if they do find my luggage?!  Maybe I should be thankful for the way I smell now... :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I am sorry Britt and 5 pound block of chedder, oh no!! You will get them soon I know!! This definitely reminds me of portugal, but there you had to wear my mom's clothes, at least you get ambers this time!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete