Image Map

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Weekend Getaway to Máncora!

It may sound ridiculous, but after the craziness of last week, I needed a vacation from my vacation! Amber, her friend, Kaylee, and myself took the overnight bus to Mancora, an amazing town on the Northern coast of Peru. White sand, warm water, hot sun... Ahhhh it was incredible. Although I felt almost uncomfortable with all of the other tourists! I am so used to going days without seeing a single white person, it was a sight for sore eyes. We filled our Saturday with relaxing on the beach and lounging by the pool. Saturday night I had my first Peruvian nightclub experience. If you know me well, you know there's nothing I love more than going dancing!

Pisco Sour
My nightclub experience in summary:

1.) Fabulous music!!
2.) As mentioned in my previous blog, Peruvians can really dance!
3.) Inka Cola (the infamous bubble gum flavored soda) and rum do not mix... Yuck
4.) It is best to avoid using bathrooms at bars. Well, that's a true statement in any Peruvian public place, but this brought unsanitary to a whole new level...
5.) When Peruvians go out with other people, they socialize soley with that group.  There is no separating, mingling, or heaven forbid, dancing with someone outside the group. 
6.) Pisco sours are pretty tasty, but very sweet! I tried my first one on Saturday which is practically the national drink of Peru. Pisco is a colorless grape-flavored brandy that is mixed with lemon juice, simple syrup, and topped wih frogged egg whites. Okay, I admit that sounds awful in writing, but it actually quite tasty.
7.) As in most European nightlife scenes, nightlife doesn't really start until 12 or 1AM.  By 3AM, the town is just start to get wild and crazy! (And I've turned into an old lady here... bedtime at 9, so I was one sleepy Brittany!)


Moto "Taxis" in Máncora
Sunday morning was fabulous.  After an amazing run on the white sand, I relaxed by the pool, trying to soak up every last bit of warmth that I could.  It's amazing how even two short days can rejuvinate you- I highly recommend a weekend getaway to all of you!

It was back to reality on Monday.  Frustrations have reached an all-time high on the volunteering front.  I have learned very quickly that the concept of organizing ahead of time does not exist here.  Amber has told me this many times in the last 7 months of her stay, but I had NO idea just how true it is.  I truly admire the amount of patience you have to have while living here.  

On Monday I was going to work in the inpatient pediatric department, so we went to the hospital to meet with the department chair to arrange my rotations.  It turns out he didn't even know we were coming and he was in surgery until almost noon... so we sat outside the hospital and waited for him for 3 hours.  Of course at that point it was siesta, so I went to lunch and went back a few hours later. When I got there, they had already done rounds on patients, so I literally sat around for 3 hours without the doctor even saying one word to me.  Whew.  Luckily the nurses were very nice and I was able to practice speaking Spanish the entire time.  If nothing else, I will be a much better Spanish speaker when all is said and done! 

Yesterday morning I was supposed to help with infant and toddler physicals at the clinic, but it turns out they didn't have many scheduled so I was only able to help with 4 patients.  In the afternoon, thank heavens, I went back to the delivery room and was able to help dress, weigh, and feed newborns.  I also got to see an emergency C-section!  I don't know if it is the same in the United States, but it is a brutal operation.  Not to get into too much detail for you non-medical readers... but there was a lot of pulling, stretching, and blood.  Washed blankets were again used as sterile skin covers, instruments were used after being soaked in a bleach solution, gauze was used in place of cauterizing, a catheter bag was created out of a used glove, and the anesthetist was on her computer in the corner of the room. You almost forgot that there was a human underneath the blue blankets!  After a few minutes, a tiny little newborn emerged!  There is nothing more beautiful than the baby's first cry.  

Today the "possibility" is to return to the delivery room.  Although, yet again, the person who is "organizing" my rotations has not responded to my e-mails.  Patience, patience, patience... :)  Lucky for all of you (haha), it gave my time to write a blog instead!  ¡Hasta luego amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment