Image Map

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Poco a Poco

Day Two in Summary:

1.) I did not work in obstetrics as planned. (Anyone surprised?)

2.) I did not work this afternoon as planned. (Sigh...)

3.) I talked to the airlines and it seems my bag mysteriously left this world but they are "still looking." (Deep breath...)

4.) Given the above, I decided to buy a change of clothes so I took a taxi to the mall. After finding a shirt and shorts, I was told at checkout they will not accept credit cards without ID. (Where was my ID you ask? Of course I left it at the hotel!)

Peruvians frequently use the saying, "Poco a poco," meaning, little by little.  Although my day presented challenges, I am learning poco a poco that they are nothing compared to what Peruvians face on a daily basis.


This morning I went with a nurse to various neighborhoods near the clinic. The nurses go out every week to do house visits with patients that miss appointments or haven't been seen in a while. Most of the patients lived in areas called quintas, which are living spaces with a communal kitchen, toilet, and washroom for laundry. If they are lucky, there may be a shower to share among 20+ families.

The quintas are located in the space between buildings; a cobblestone pathway no more than 3-feet wide surrounded by disinigrating brick walls reaching high into the sky above. Hoses bring water to the homes and trash is scattered throughout the walkway. Stray dogs are curled in the doorways, their legs scratching away ticks and fleas. Doors are no more than 3 wooden planks nailed together or even a tarp hanging from the rotting wooden doorframe. House numbers were traced onto the cement with a pencil, as were multiple initials, drawings, and inappropriate comments. It was better to breathe from my mouth only, as the stench of urine lingered in the air. Inside the homes was a dark room filled with multiple bunkbeds, a handful of dishes, a small rickety table, and a clothesline hanging from the blue-tarp celing above.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." The people I met today have insurmountable strength and it truly puts my challenges into perspective. I aspire to live as they do, especially in every day-to-day obstacle that happens to come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment