Image Map

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Finding Motivation

Who knew that being a parent was a full time, 24 hour per day job? Gavin went to bed happy last night and at 2am he woke up. I assumed it was to nurse; he still does 1-2x at night (if you must ask, yes I am sleep deprived and tired. And yes, I know I should wean him at night, haha). I went to his crib to get him and he was covered in vomit. :( Jake was at work so I held a crying baby and one-handedly stripped his crib, changed his sheets, and both of our clothes.  He truly needed a bath, but at 2am neither of us wanted to do that. After rocking him for a bit, he wanted to nurse, so I did.  Bad idea. Two hours and three more PJ changes later... He finally stopped vomiting and fell asleep! 


So why am I telling you this other than it's no fun to have a sick baby? Well, today I had 18 miles on the schedule and my motivation was nowhere to be found!  Little sleep coupled with a quesy stomach don't exactly equate to ideal running conditions. So what does one do in a time like this? 

Suck it up. I laced up my shoes and hit the roads. Sometimes it's better just to go through the motions and get out there than it is to think about what you're about to do. For the first few miles, I waited patiently for the run to get easier and my legs to settle into a rhythm, but unfortunately that never happened. Luckily it was a beautiful morning for a run.    


To make the time go by faster, I mentally split the run into 3 parts: a 7 mile loop, and two 5.5 mile runs (11 miles out-and-back).  I finished and that is what mattered!  (And apparently I can't do math because I somehow added on an extra 0.5 mile). 



Sometimes the runs aren't easy physically or mentally, but I definitely never regret putting in the time and effort!

I hope you had a great weekend!  How long was your long run this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment