Image Map

Thursday, September 6, 2012

I left my heart in Tanzania...

The title of my blog is: "Travel.Run.Live.Love."

I'm thinking of changing it to:  "Study.Run.Forget-about-having-a-life.Love" for the next 8 months. Has the same "ring" to it, doesn't it?

As you know may or may not know, I love love LOVE to travel.  I've been very fortunate in my life to have opportunities to travel both nationally and internationally thanks to my encouraging parents!  In high school, my bestest friend Katherine and I went to Europe with her parents.  That did it.  I officially caught the travel bug, and I haven't been able to (nor have I wanted to) get rid of it since!  Since travel is not exactly possible right now, I thought I'd tell you about one of my all-time favorite places in the world.

Tanzania.

Sunset in Tarangire National Park

Almost 4 years ago I got to go with Katherine and her family on another fun adventure.  This time, we went to Africa.  After a 2 day journey through 6+ airports and countless time zones, we arrived in Arusha, a city in Northeastern Tanzania near the Kenyan border.  It was there our African Safari began.  9 days traveling through the most beautiful country I have ever seen.  We covered 100's of miles and saw countless animals & birds (and even close encounters with snakes!). We rode in a Land Rover with a local guide through Tarangire, the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, and Lake Manyara. My dad is an unbelievable photographer and over the years I've fallen in love with photography as well.  He let me take one of his HUGE cameras to capture the unforgettable moments.


At Ngorongoro Crater with my best friend, Katherine!
One of the best parts of traveling with a small group on Safari was that we each were able to take our time and watch our favorite animals for as long as we wanted.  Although Katherine, Peggy (her mom!) and I loved watching all the animals, we decided that we could sit and watch the monkeys all day.

Sibling Love.
Brian, Katherine's dad, on the other hand... loved the Elephants!

Elefantes!

From cheetahs catching their dinner, to witnessing a newborn wildebeest's first steps, to monkeys climbing on our car, to leopards darting off into the distance while on a guided nature walk - it was the most surreal and amazing experience of my life.  

Duma in the Serengeti!

Beautiful Zebras

Interesting fact: Zebras and Wildebeests (remember those ugly animals in The Lion King that trampled Mufasa?) travel together in herds of 500-1000 for protection during the great migration every year.  Turns out the Wildebeests are practically blind and follow the Zebras because they can see their stripes!  Also- Wildebeests give birth while migrating and within minutes of being born, a baby can run.  Talk about survival of the fittest!

Young Male Lion

On the prowl

Magnificent.

I tried to sneak this little guy home in the Land Rover.
Turns out Mama Lion didn't appreciate that so much. 

Nothing as beautiful as a mother's love.

The hardest, most heart-wrenching part of the whole trip was saying goodbye to our tour guide and all of our animal friends :)  Jake and I plan to spend a year or two volunteering in Africa in the next 10 years, so I am counting down the minutes to be back in the place that stole my heart.  (Don't worry, Jake and I have a mutual agreement.  He shares me with Africa/Running, and I share him with Tacos/Hunting. It works out well.)  

Our tour guide with my 2nd family! LOVE the McMahons!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment