Image Map

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Swap Meet!

For our PA program we are required to conduct Community Health Service projects.  I already completed mine at my family practice clinic, but I was asked to join in and help with a few of my classmate's AWESOME project.  It was also my first experience at a swap meet! How come I didn't know these existed until now!? It is a garage-salers dream.  (Trust me- I'm married to one!) 

Their project is called: Face Paint & Educate!  At the swap meet, they host a booth that provides free face-painting and choosemyplate coloring activity for the kids... and nutritional education for the parents!  It was a BLAST and I was so glad to be able to help out my friends! My artistic abilities consist of hearts, stars, and smiley faces.  Turns out kids like things like spiderman, puppies, and pirates.  Sheesh, talk about picky! 

So.... I was elected to speak in Spanish to the parents :)  The swap meet was just a few miles from Mexico, so I had a fun time talking to the parents about their diets and answered as many questions as time allowed.  

Fun Times with my PCAP friends!

Our Booth!

The swap meet reminded me of a Street Market in Mexico.  Used clothes, propane tanks, bulk groceries, knock-off Prada purses (with the 99 cent price tag from Goodwill still attached- selling for $50. Ha!), old VHS tapes from 1989, beautiful used bikes (note to self: always use a good bike lock in San Diego), and all sort of household goods and tools.

A serious shopper!
Jake would have been in heaven.  Almost as good as a Taco booth.
All jokes aside, it is a blessing for the community to have a place for people to work on the weekends either for their only income, or their supplemental income.  It is also an affordable option for clothes, shoes, and household cleaners!  Especially for a broke grad student! I'll give you one guess where I'm shopping for Christmas presents this year.  :)


The other awesome thing about this location is that when it's not busy being a swap meet, it's the home of one of two Drive-In movie theaters in San Diego!  That is now #78 on my must-do-before-I-move-away-from-San-Diego List.  I have got to find a way to tackle the list.  If only studying didn't take up so much time....

Beautiful Rainbow (and drive-in movie screen) in the background!

The rest of the day was spent studying with my bestest-bud, Dan.  It was probably one of my most productive weekends in a long time! 

To celebrate my success... I will be getting up tomorrow at 4:30 AM to run 20 miles.  Followed by 12 more hours of studying. 

Favorite Running Quote Ever.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment