Image Map

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My week in pictures


This week was busy.  Very busy.  Finals is once again upon us... it feels like we JUST had finals!  That means I head back to San Francisco next weekend.  Unlike most trips to Stanford, I will be there for 6 weeks this time!  After finals, I will be doing a 4-week inpatient medicine rotation at Stanford in the Pediatric Liver Transplant Unit!  I am sad to be temporarily leaving my life here in San Diego, but I know that I will have a great experience at Stanford.  

AND I get to stay with my most favorite family in the whole wide world, The Griffins.  I met this amazing family at our good friends, Nick and Tina's wedding a few years ago!  The Griffins are best described as.... generous, loving, wonderful, hilarious, thoughtful, caring... and the list goes on.  They're also brave souls for letting me stay with them all the time... Stressed Brittany is not always fun Brittany :) 

Brendan, Marie, Ashley, Tina and Nick!

This week I went on a couple of beautiful runs.  I've been dying to do a sunset run for weeks, so I took it upon myself to go on Thursday night.

I learned a few things on this run:

1.)  Sunsets are 96.5% better when witnessed while running.  The other 3.5% would apply if Jake could be there with me. 

Sunset Run
2.) As soon as the sun sets, you should anticipate complete darkness in approximately 22 minutes.  I know this because I still had  4.5 miles to run when the sun set.  

Del Mar.

3.) There are no street lights in San Diego.  I had a few too many close encounters with speed bumps and spiderwebs that I hope never to experience.... EVER again.  

True Story.

The rest of my week looked something like this:

Imagine that!  Studying?
However, yesterday, Dan made me take a break from our 12 hour cram session to go to the beach.  We stayed for about an hour and although I was reluctant to take a time-out from studying... all my worries seemed to fade away...

Can you believe I've only been to the beach 3 times since moving here in February?
Okay, okay... I admit I snuck my study materials in my beach bag- so it was the best of both worlds. 

I have separation anxiety when I'm without my books.  

Thanks for the forced break, Dan!  Much needed vitamin D!
My long run this morning was 16 miles.  What would normally be an easy distance on my favorite loop quickly turned into a horrendous, awful, worse-than-the-spiderwebs experience. I'll spare you too many details from this fun run today, but let's just say I thought I had recovered from the viral gastroenteritis I've been fighting the past few days... Turns out I hadn't.  

Blurry- but me attempting to chase Dennis up the Hill d'torture

Beautiful sunrise 
Advice of the year: Do not run 16 miles when you think you are "over" gastroenteritis. 
You aren't. And your stomach will let you know in a very violent, painful way at mile 12.  Don't worry, I toughed it out and made it back to the car unharmed.  Operation gatorade is now in full effect.

Packing for 6 weeks is not an easy job.  School books, binders, professional attire, running gear....

My packing list for San Francisco.  Do you notice a common trend?  Important things first. 
There is a lot of excitement in the weeks to come: Ragnar Relay on Friday, School/Finals (less excited about the finals part, more excited to see my classmates!), Inpatient Rotation at Stanford, St. George Marathon (get to see my family!), Nike Womens' Marathon, and 6 weeks of fun adventures in San Francisco!  


No comments:

Post a Comment