Image Map

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bye bye toenail.

Warning: If blood and/or needle make you queazy, you may not like me in a few minutes.

Running does wonders on the feet.  Blisters, ingrown toenails, blisters under ingrown toenails... you name it.  We are an aesthetician's nightmare!  Last time I got a pedicure, it was three hours after the Rock and Roll marathon.  I apologized profusely for the large blisters and toenails that were barely hanging on. I think it was probably a blessing they weren't speaking English because I can only imagine what they were saying...  :)

The last few days, I've noticed two of my toenails getting nice and irritated.  You're lucky I omitted the "before" picture.  I tried to help one of them "depart" from my foot last night, which only made the situation worse.  While it was bearable on my run this morning, today, my preceptor made the executive decision that the toenail would have to go.

In goes the lidocaine!
Adios toenail! (Excuse the large blister on my other foot.) 
No more toenail.  And yes, I know I have the disproportionately large calves.
They've been known to scare small children and baffle men.
You know how last week I told you how awesome it was to remove a toenail?  Well, it turns out... it's actually kind of awesome to have one removed as well!  I think I chose the right field of work because (a) I will likely need repeat toenail removals in the near future and (b) I loved watching the whole procedure.  I also learned that it wasn't near as painful as my patients make it seem.  However, I know everyone feels and deals with pain a little bit differently! At the moment, there's definitely a steady throb, but it's nothing a little running tomorrow won't fix. :)

Oh - in case you didn't notice, I changed the layout of my blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment