Image Map

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Great Minds Think Alike.

Sometimes you just need a little HOME.
6 weeks ago I decided I was homesick.  Scratch that.  16 months ago I decided I was homesick.  But... 6 weeks ago is when I decided I needed to go home, even if it was only for a weekend.  I thought it would be a wonderful idea to surprise Jake, since he does so much for me!  One thing you must know about Jake is that he is a workaholic and hunting-aholic.  When he's not working his normal shifts, you will find him either picking up extra shifts or out in the Alaskan wilderness hunting.  Both of which make it very difficult to try to surprise him.

Jake with his Kodiak Bear.
Sorry Yogi Bear. But better you than that hot hunter standing behind your massive claws!  
So... I came up with the perfect plan: I would recruit one of his friends to invite him on a "hunting trip" during the time I will be there.  Jake said yes, and my plan was going to succeed!  It would be perfect.

Well, the impossible happened.  Jake decided he had enough hunting for one year.  What?  How is that possible, Mr. I-can't-buy-enough-guns-or-own-enough-hunting-books-in-my-lifetime? Really?  Okay, plan B: he says he's tired and needs time to recover from all of his hunting trips.  Plus he said he really wants to work on the house.  Phew. Okay, maybe this will work.

Jake with Mr. Billy Goat. 
Then... last week, I get a phone call from Jake:

Jake- "What are you doing the 25-29th?"
Me- "I'm working... why, what's up?" ("working" aka secret code language for "coming to visit you")
Jake- "I miss you.  I found a cheap ticket, so I want to come to see you!"
Me- "Oh I'd love to see you!  Let me talk to Dr. Watson and see if I can take a day off."  (Crap!  What to do, what to do?!)
Jake- "Okay, well hurry because if it doesn't work out, I have two extra shifts I'm going to pick up during that time."
Me- "Okay, I'll let you know ASAP!" (NOOOOOOO.... dang it.  Why must we think alike and why must you be a workaholic who doesn't know how to take a day off!)

I tried to come up with a believable plan C... unfortunately, I realized that I would inevitably have to tell him the surprise 10 days early.  Luckily, he was through the roof excited and the first thing that came out of his mouth was:

"Wait... what?! Really?! No.... that means I have to clean the house!" haha

If that doesn't show you love, I don't know what does.  :)  It also shows that it was a blessing in disguise that I told him, or the house may have looked like a war zone/bachelor pad upon my surprise arrival.

We are BEYOND excited and I can't wait to be home in just 36 hours!  It has been over 6 months since I've been in Alaska... which is FAR too long.  To my Alaskan friends... I can't WAIT to see you!

(And we're having a party at our house on Friday... all are welcome!)

Anchorage!

No comments:

Post a Comment