Image Map

Thursday, November 1, 2012

#1: Grateful for HOME.

Today marks a month of Thanksgiving. Not that I am ungrateful every other month of the year, but I vow to spend the next 30 days focusing on the amazing things in my life that I am thankful for.  

Novemeber 1: I am grateful for... Alaska! 

There is nothing quite as beautiful as stepping off a plane into 20 degree temperatures.  Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.

The beautiful part was seeing Jake standing in the Airport waiting for me.  You'd think I'd be used to reuniting with him by now, but the butterflies and racing heart get me every time!  Seeing his big smile and getting a huge hug is a dream come true.  Not to mention his thoughtfulness... how many husbands remember to bring their cold California-blooded wife a down coat at the airport.  I'm one lucky girl.  :)
Crazy little thing called love!
The weekend was perfect.  Perfect in every way.  Thursday was spent with our friend Aliki, who is an AMAZING photographer.  We took "Engagement" pictures since we never had any taken.  I can't wait to see and share the final product!  Lots of silly poses in front of moose (or is it Meese? Mooses? I should know this!), fall leaf fights, cuddling, and walking down the beautiful Potter's Marsh boardwalk.  The best part was that it was 25 degrees out.  I may have regretted the cute dress and heels after my toes went numb and my lips turned purple... ha!  (For those of you who are curious, we are having another wedding- likely next year some time.  Planning a wedding is not exactly at the top of my priority list at the moment, so once I finish this ridiculous grad school, planning will commence!)

Thursday night Jake surprised me (Clearly he still didn't get the memo that I was supposed to be doing the surprising! haha) by taking me on a getaway to our favorite little getaway, Alyeska Resort.  An hour away from our house, the resort operates as a ski resort from November - May. That night, it was a beautiful fall escape for Jake and I!

Alyeska

After the past month in my horrible rotation, it was nice to pretend I was a normal person for a few days and watch a movie, drink wine, enjoy the beautiful pool and hot tub and go out for a delicious breakfast without feeling an ounce of guilt. (Okay, that's a lie... I did feel guilty not studying, but I didn't let it stop me this time!)

Yes, there was only two of us.  Don't judge. 

Driving back to Anchorage after a nice getaway!
Friday we had a Par-tay at our house!  Lots of my bestest friends/family came over to enjoy high quality beer (Bud Light!), eat good food, show off their adorable babies! and play the mandatory beer pong in our garage.

My new family!  
What we serve at Alaskan parties.  I know you're jealous.
(Don't worry, I left that on the shelf at Costco! YUCK!)
Love these girls!
Cooper, the cutest little 9 month old I know!
Besties. Better than all the resties.  
 It was so nice to see all my Alaska friends for the first time in over 6 months!  It made me realize that although it feels like years have passed since I was living there (maybe that's because it has been a year and a half!), we all just pick up right where we left off.  I cannot wait to be home and have a life.  7 more months.  Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

Saturday Jake and I went on a beautiful run/walk in Anchorage and stopped by "our" bench (where he proposed).
Thank you for choosing me.  I'm so lucky!
Same spot just 16 months ago!
I went to my favorite bakery, Great Harvest and the best coffee shop in the world, Kaladi Bros (I think we went like 8 times when I was home...haha).

Liquid Heaven.
We also went to my beautiful friend Somer's brand new house for the grand tour.  Followed by drinks downtown with my favorite man in the whole world.  It's amazing how much I was able to fit into one weekend!

Sunday, my friend Melissa made delicious brunch and I got to hold my new adorable surrogate nephew, Tyler.  Jake and I went on an afternoon hike to Flat Top to have one more glance of my favorite city in the world.

There is NO place like home.
Alaska is so stunning.
I then decided to go on a little hang-gliding adventure!  ;)
Happy to be home!
If that wasn't a good enough end to the weekend, Jake took me to Moose's Tooth for dinner and a beer.  I can't even begin to describe the deliciousness that is Mooses' Tooth to you non-Alaskans.  You will just have to come visit me and then you will understand why I can never leave Alaska.  YUM.

I "moose-t" have more Hard Apple Ale. Okay, I'm cheesy.  Can't help it. Speaking of cheese...

Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment