Image Map

Sunday, November 25, 2012

#24 - Thankful for a Mother's Wisdom

November 24th - I am grateful for heart-to-heart talks with my mom.


How is it that a mother knows just what to say when you need to hear it?  It amazes me.  After a long, emotionally trying day, it was just what I needed!  It seems that in time of stress and high emotions that a persons' true colors shine through. Sometimes the colors you don't like to show, but all it takes is a mother's reassurance and everything seems to turn out okay.  I feel so lucky to have her :)

Yesterday my Grandma had surgery to repair her hip fracture.  She had a partial hip replacement which should heal quickly and has a much better prognosis than if they were to have pinned the fracture.  Her surgeon, Dr. Tonks, was top-rated and very friendly! She couldn't have been in better hands.

Teaching Moment: Femoral neck fracture (the weakest part of the joint) fixed with a new hip! 
It is so humbling to be the one on the other side of the operating room.  As much as I love being in the OR, it is nerve-wracking to watch the clock tick by as your loved one undergoes a major surgery.  Grandma did very well and there were no complications with the repair.  She was extremely groggy last night, but I was so grateful to be there to support her.  After a day in the hospital, my night was filled with airport runs to bring my sister and later my Grandpa (my mom's dad- not married to my Grandma!).  It was SO hard to see them go!  :(  There is no greater support than the ones you love.

My Grandma had a rough night last night as you can imagine.  She has got to be the strongest person I know.  If falling off a step onto pavement wasn't enough, she had a new metal hip put in!  I don't think anyone can anticipate the amount of pain that causes, so she was very distraught over how painful it has been.  I wish there was a magic fix for pain.  It is just so unfair to see her in such pain!  She made great strides this morning with her PT when she stood up and took a few side steps.  She's definitely on the right road to recovery, I just wish it were an easier, less bumpy and twisted road.

Thank you all for your support and prayers.  I am overwhelmed with the love I feel from all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment