Image Map

Monday, November 12, 2012

#11- Silver Strand Half Marathon

November 11: I am grateful for a PAIN FREE run in the Silver Strand Half

Yesterday marked the first day of running (longer than my 3 mile jaunt on Monday) in 2 weeks.  How did I chose to test my knee?  By doing a half marathon, of course!  Okay, I admit.  It was not the wisest distance choice.  But... I was literally pain free and feeling mentally and physically ready, so... my alarm woke me at 4:45 and I jumped out of bed to put on my much-loved running skirt, WCRR shirt and beautiful pink Nikes.  I even remembered my timing chip this time too (unlike HERE) but probably because it was attached to my race bib.  (I did, however, leave my Garmin watch in the car).

Beautiful morning for a half marathon!
The "Silver Strand" is a stretch of beach extending from Coronado to Imperial Beach.  It is flat, scenic, and like all other beaches in Cali- just gorgeous.  The course is a point-to-point race, so you get to see new scenery the entire way.  An added bonus is that the sun rises ahead of you.  (Nothing like being blinded by the sun beaming directly into your eyeballs for 13.1 miles). Luckily I had my sweet knock-off Ray Bans from Peru to save the day.

I had a plan to walk half of the race, and run the other half; if I was in pain sooner than at mile 6.5, I would stop and walk the rest of the race. Well... I felt amazing and didn't feel an ounce of pain, so I may have continued running after the 6.5 mile mark.  And the 7.5... and the rest of the race. I wouldn't have done this, but I was literally in no pain. YIPPEE!  I felt myself speeding up multiple times, but I forced myself to slow down and enjoy the beauty around.  
Beautiful!
This race is also unique because it is one of the last races in SoCal that allows (and encourages) walkers, hand-cyclers, inline skaters, and people with other disabilities.

So inspirational
If running pain free was not enough to bring pure happiness to my life, it was the inspirational runners around me.  I am the first to admit that I teared up when I came up on this runner.  
Deaf and Blind. And running.  
Not just running a 5K.  He's running a half marathon, and doing it at a fast pace.  I cannot even begin to explain just how inspired I was by this man.  I have no reason to complain about temporary injuries, lack of motivation, or running slower than I wanted to.  I am so inspired by his passion, perseverance and talent.  Never give up on your dreams, no matter the obstacle.

I don't care what excuse you have.  It's not too hot/cold out, you're not too tired, and your day was not too stressful.  If he can run, you have no excuse but to get outside and run. 

Finish line!  

Imperial Beach Pier

The crooked Ray Bans really make this picture, don't you think? :)
It was probably one of my favorite half marathons to date.  I've run races with more scenic courses, but the inspirational athletes reminded me to be grateful for every single step I took!  


*** FYI - I've been posting new entries to my blog - even if I don't post the link on Facebook.  Someone asked me how to be notified of when I write new entries.  (I was shocked too! haha). If you like what you read, you are welcome to subscribe.  (Enter your email into the "Like it? Follow it!" button in the upper right corner). Thanks for your support! *** 

No comments:

Post a Comment