Image Map

Friday, November 2, 2012

#2- Grateful for RUNNING!

November 2:  It's a shocker...are you ready?  I am SO thankful for running.  
The mental and physical challenge, the races, the awesome running partners that share my obsession, the hill repeats, the 20 mile long runs, the feel of new running shoes on my feet, the weird deliciousness of clif shot blox, the feel of soaking in an ice bath to sooth my muscles... You name it, I am grateful for it.
RUN = FUN.
(Lame caption, I know. Blame it on me being sleepy!)
You want to know what I am not grateful for?  Being injured. You heard me right.  I'm injured. And you know what? Being injured STINKS.  Big time.  I feel bad even writing that because there are SO many things I have to be grateful for.  I can walk.  I can walk on a street that isn't flooded due to the devastating Hurricane Sandy.  I can be grateful that just 26 days ago I ran the fastest I ever have.  (Has it only been 26 days?! It literally feels like 2, 293,719 years. Clearly I'm in a time warp.)  I truly am grateful for this body I have, even if my silly peroneal nerve is inflamed and giving me way too much grief. (I will explain how I did this later- I am embarrassed to even mention it because it is not even running related!)  I have been a very good girl- I will have you know.  No running since 10 days ago.  That's probably the longest I have gone in 4 years.

YES.
Here are the things that go through my mind during this "mini-running vacation break of extreme torture"

1.) How expensive are the under-water treadmills?  They can't be more than $200, right?  I can afford that.  (After a quick google search, I found I forgot to add a zero to that number).

2.) I've been dreaming about running every night.  Last night I ran a half marathon (a race that I'm supposed to run in 10 days) and it felt fabulous!  Does that count as a run?  I think yes.

3.) Maybe if I wear a different race t-shirt to the gym every day, people will know that I'm really a marathoner and that I hate every second I spend on the silly elliptical. :)

4.) If I see one more smiling runner outside I'm going to...

5.) The thought of seeing a massage therapist for $250 per 40 minute session crosses my mind daily.  (Don't worry Jake, I won't do it...)

6.) How on earth did I ever take a 10 mile run for granted? Or a 5 mile run for that matter? Never again.  Never. Ever.

7.) Why can't any other form of exercise give me the same endorphin rush that I get from running?  Elliptical?  Not a chance.  Bike? I'd rather take a nap than have a sore butt from that bike seat.  Swim?  The lingering smell of chlorine and the super-attractive goggle marks seem to outweigh the good feeling I get right after swimming.  Weights? Ha! Now that's funny.

8.) At an all-time low (aka dramatic) moment... I thought,  "maybe I should just give up and quit running. I'd save a lot of money from not buying entry fees, running clothes, shoes, goo, and powerade."

9.) Immediately after #8: How could I think such a thing?  I then proceeded to apologize to my neglected orange and purple Nikes, put them on my unblistered feet, and pop open a cool bottle of grape powerade.  I then went online to purchase an entry fee for the Carlsbad Half Marathon in January.
I miss you, friends!
10.)  I may or may not qualify as a running addict.  Please re-read #1-9 if you don't understand.  Luckily I'm a smart running addict and I know when to take a break.

The good news?  I'm feeling much better and I hope to be back on the streets in the next week or so!  But I will continue on my quest of running-less torture for however long it takes to be injury free!  :)
I can hear you calling my name... don't fear, I'll be trampling you soon.
Do it for me.  Run for me.  Please?  Pretty please?


No comments:

Post a Comment