Image Map

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pay it Forward

One simple act of kindness this week changed my outlook and inspired me to get all philosophical on you.

In a culture frequently absent from selfless acts, this week I was pleasantly reminded that there are, in fact, generous people in this world.  I want to take this moment to thank the random stranger who paid for my coffee on Wednesday. You must have seen the gigantic bags under my grad student eyes and my disheveled afro curls and taken pity on me.  I am forever grateful for your random act of kindness.  May good karma come back to you ten times over.

This got me thinking about how such a simple act can make a difference in someone's day.  I find it amazing (and by amazing, I really mean tragic) how often Americans are so caught up in the day-to-day stressors and chaotic schedules that we get aggravated by that "annoying slow driver" or walk past someone struggling with a door, or are quick to judge another based on a preconceived stereotype we have. Life would be a lot more pleasant it we all just helped each other and got along.  Don't you think?

In my family practice clinic, it is easy at times to make assumptions instead of looking at the bigger picture.  Most of my patients are uninsured, unemployed Mexican Immigrants who speak only Spanish.  At times it can be frustrating to see that their medical conditions are not improving due to noncompliance, but it is important for me to step back and realize that taking a medication that costs $4-$10/month for an asymptomatic condition (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) may be at the very bottom of their priority list.  It is not our job to make judgment, just to help and provide the best care we can.  Listen to people's story.  You learn a lot.


So why is it so hard to not pass a judgment?  It seems so simple:
1.) Don't judge.
2.) Be kind to everyone.
3.) Don't make assumptions.
4.) Let's all be friends

I wish I knew why it is so hard to not become jaded and adopt stereotypes towards others.  Our world has warped into a life of who has the most "likes" on their facebook status and equating our self worth with how much we weigh and how many nice _________ (fill in the blank here: cars, shoes, outfits, homes) we have.  Our culture tells us to strive to achieve the impossible - and somehow that promotes the feeling of being "better" than someone else.  I don't like it any more than you do, so let's just try to make a change.  Deal?  Good.

Last but not least, pay it forward. Give without expectations. Make someone's day. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment