Image Map

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Best Birthday Cake Ever and Taco Tuesday

It's official.  I have finally tasted the best Birthday Cake of my life.  Oreos, chocolate, creamy topping... how can one go wrong?  My coworker, Leyshla, had a birthday on Tuesday and I decided that a birthday cake must be part of the celebration!  I had seen a recipe on Pinterest that I've been dying to try, so I quickly whipped up this little gem on Monday night:

Feliz Cumpleanos! 
Introducing: Oreo Poke Cake.  Processed, boxed-cake goodness.  I usually bake from scratch and try to avoid using boxed products. But let's be serious, I had approximately 15 minutes total to whip this bad boy up, put it in the oven, and complete the finishing touches - all of which was done between packing boxes for the big move.  And the end result?  Better than any cake I've ever tasted.  I was told I was welcome to bake the same cake and bring it every day until the end of time.


Happy Birthday, Leyshla! Funnest 22 year old I know!
(Please note the choice of healthy snacks in the background.  Clearly I work with a bunch of health freaks.) 


"Died and Gone to Oreo Heaven" Poke Cake

Ingredients:
1 Box Chocolate or Vanilla Cake Mix
Ingredients needed to make cake (usually eggs, oil and water) 
2 (4 oz.) packages of Instant Oreo pudding
4 cups milk (2% or higher - unfortunately low-fat won't set up well)
Cool Whip or Fresh Whipped Cream
Crushed Oreo Cookies (I used around 10 oreos)


Directions:
1.) Mix cake mix and bake according to box instructions
2.) When cake has ~ 5 minutes left to bake, combine the oreo pudding mix and milk.  Allow to sit for 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
3.) As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes in the cake with the back of a wooden spoon as shown below
4.) Pour the pudding goodness on the cake
5.) Using a spoon/spatula, spread the pudding evenly and push gently to ensure it fills the holes
6.) Lick the pudding bowl and spatula clean. YUM.
7.) Allow cake to cool 15 mins on counter, then place in the fridge to cool completely
8.) Remove from fridge, spread cool whip over pudding mixture
9.) Top with crushed oreos.
10.) Share with others, or keep for yourself.  It's up to you.  :)

(Keep Refrigerated!)


Time for the filling!
In the future, I'm going to try making this from scratch - or at least the cake part.  Although I'm not going to lie, this was the fastest, easiest and most delicious cake ever.

If you aren't drooling, you may have a problem. 

In addition to the cake festivities, it is a tradition on birthdays to go to Mi Guadalajara for lunch.  We took a 3 hour break and enjoyed delicious Taco Tuesday!  It was my last field trip with the CDMC crew.  I am really going to miss this group. :(



Tomorrow is my last clinic day as a student ever. EVER! I can't believe this part of my journey has come to an end.  I have spent the last 13 months getting to know the clinical world of medicine and attempting to make a difference in my patient's lives.  Centro Medico del Carmen has provided the best, most supportive environment to learn in and I'm so grateful I was placed there!  I would definitely give anything to be able to work for a Doctor like Dr. Watson!  I may cry like a little baby tomorrow when I have to say goodbye to my favorite clinic in the world.  No bueno.  Luckily I am coming back to San Diego in April for a wedding, so I don't really have to say goodbye.... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment