Image Map

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Marathon Training



Marathon Training. Two powerful words. Distance runners know that those two words have a lot of implications. Miles of pounding on the joints, hours of sleep sacrificed, mass amounts of sugary "goos" and chews consumed, real-life nightmares of hill repeats, a fight with continual blisters, and the occasional combination of tears and sweat.

So you ask... Why would I do such a thing? Months and months of ridiculous training just to run one 3 and some odd hour race?? What are you thinking, crazy girl? I wish I had a simple answer. (Besides the excuse that I can eat anything I want!)

Ice Bath 
Marathons are just that- a little crazy with a side of unbelievably awesome. It is the opportunity to use every ounce of fear, frustration, joy, pride, and strength that live in us all... and pour every ounce of that into one 26.2 mile package.

Almost done!
The training gives me almost as much joy as the actual race because:  
- Hours of being outside & soaking up the sun (or rain... or snow in Alaska!)
- Learning to rely only on your body - and listening to the cues that you are doing too much, or that you could push a little more
- Meeting some amazing athletes that share my weird addiction with not only running, but also talking about race strategy, running gear, favorite training routes, or workouts conquered.
- When you finish a tough run, you get that feeling.  You runners know that feeling.  I wish it had a cooler phrase to describe it than "Runner's High" because... a) I've never been high so I have no idea what that means and b) It's 100% produced by YOUR huge accomplishment, so therefore it should have a name that matches that power of the awesome runner. :)
- You get to know a place unlike most locals.  Passing slowly on foot allows you to notice every detail of nice streets- and some sketchy streets too!  I've learned far more about amazing San Diego than if I were just commuting in a car to/from work.
- A continuation of the bullet above... It helps with my horrible directional dyslexia.  To those of you who don't know me- I have a horrible time remembering which is right and which is left.  Yes, I know... Your 4-year-old has no trouble with right and left sides.  I do.  Sorry.  Just point and I'll follow.  Or risk being run into.
- Stress relief... or as Jake would probably call it, sanity-keeper.  Tough days, rough nights, you name it... it works like I charm.  In the world of PA school- it keeps me upright and smiling!
- I feel strong even when I feel weak.  Running 20 miles on tired legs makes me feel like I can conquer the world.  (Which, in case you were curious... is my ultimate goal with running.  Maybe some day.)


My Ashley - cutest running buddy ever.


So what is a typical week like in peak training??
(Side note- I am a complete slacker and don't have much time for cross training...)

Monday- 6 miles with Movin' Shoes
Tuesday- 9.5 miles of hill repeats at Torrey Pines
Wednesday- 10 mile Wednesday (usually more like 8 mile Wednesday!)
Thursday- Easy 8 miles or Track Workout
Friday- Rest, cross train, or easy run with Carrie!
Saturday- Long run (14-22 miles)
Sunday- Easy 6-8

Total: 50-65 miles of pure joy

Then repeat. Over and over. And over.



Of course the training gets rough, it gets tiring, and more than anything- it is taxing on the body.  That is where listening to your body is absolutely essential.  I'll definitely write more on aches and pains and avoiding injury later.

For now, it's time to study.  Kind of like running, it is a pain... :)

Jealous?  Don't be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment