Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

3 months too long

For the first time since being hired by the Anchorage Fire Dept 15 months ago, Jake was scheduled to have 2 weeks off from work! For the past year, he had been planning a sheep hunting trip with one of his best friends, Nick. The boys left and went to boonies of Alaska and did their manly things, while I (of course) worried the entire time! On Wednesday I got a call from Jake via Satelite phone saying, "I miss you. I don't care the price, just find me a ticket to come see you!" With some tricky Orbitz skills, I was able to get Jake a cheap ticket! Saturday morning I was probably the happiest girl in the whole world as I jumped into his arms!

3 months is a long time. Especially when you are miles and miles away from your husband! These past 15 months have been some of the hardest of my life. They've also taught Jake and I so much about keeping a relationship strong when you may only get to talk 4-5 times per week and see eachother every 3-4 months. Everyone tells me, "It'll be like the blink of an eye compared to your whole lives together." I must have toothpicks holding my eyes open, because it's officially the longest "blink" in history. I have so much respect for people who have spouses that are deployed- you are ALL my heroes.

For the next week, you will likely find Jake and I in the walk-in freezer at Costco. 2 Alaskans + 90 degrees + 90% humidity + NO AC! = 2 sticky, sweaty messes. I'm able to work on Saturdays so I can take off some work days while Jake is here, so I am very grateful for that! If we decide to do something other than sit in a freezer, we'll likely be exploring every Taco Shop in the greater San Diego area. Life is good.


Finally together again.  (Eating Tacos, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment