Image Map

Saturday, January 19, 2013

When life gives you lemons...

What's a broke grad student do?  Yep, that's right!  Keep 'em! 

Ever feel like you're running against a cement wall?
And just when you chisel your way through the wall, you step into a pit of quicksand?
You see a tree branch to grab onto and pull yourself free only to realize the branch is actually a venomous snake?

Okay, maybe that was a bit dramatic.  Or a lot dramatic.  But it's safe to say, we all have times that feel as if the world is sitting on your shoulders and could sure use an extra hand (or two or eight).

The past two weeks since I arrived back from Mexico have been one obstacle course followed by another. Mainly due to some ridiculously stupid frustrating challenges with hospital credentialing for my surgery rotation that were due to miscommunications beyond my control.  No need to go into my long story, but my frustration/worrying level is at approximately a 2493 out of 10.  Yes, it's possible.  Believe me.

It doesn't take a PA student to tell you that stress is probably not the best for your health.  So what is one to do when they're discouraged?  Run!  Oh wait, I can't do that because I'm still injured.  I was doing great but had another set back.  (Sciatic nerve irritation causing hip and knee pain).  Perfect combo for training for my first Boston Marathon in 3 months! haha.

Hmph. So I can't run like I want to... what's a girl to do?

Options that I have tried:
1.) Cry.  (Not successful. Makes for an interesting public spectacle and makes your face look pudgy.)
2.) Study to distract myself.  (Leads to unhelpful thoughts like, "Wow, I really have a lot to learn in the next 3 months before my board exams!")
3.) Work out at the gym.  (Why does the elliptical have to cause me such boredom?)
4.) Call your amazingly supportive husband and repeat #1 (Actually VERY successful but could lead to a discouraged husband so it's only recommended if you can pull it together.)
5.) Drink wine.  (Not successful. Tried once and fell asleep on top of my books. ha)
6.) Retail therapy.  (Wait, you have to have money to do that. Does a sale on cheerios count as retail therapy?  That does make me pretty happy.)
7.) Pray.  (Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!)



Sometimes you just need someone to take that weight off your shoulders and trust that everything will work out.  I know it will be okay, but it would sure be nice to worry less.  That is where faith comes in.  Knowing that the big man upstairs has a plan for this crazy little thing called life. Obstacles are placed to learn how to chisel through them and ultimately to grab that venomous snake and use it as a rope to climb to safety.

On a positive, less philosophical note, I am officially registered for my board exams! HOLY COW.  That is crazy.  Also crazy is that it costs $475 to torture myself in the 6 hour exam. haha

Haha.  You think?
Graduation planning is in full effect and the realization has settled in that in 68 days I will (hopefully... if silly hospital logistics get solved) be done with school for the REST OF MY LIFE. And 36 days after that I will walk across the stage and become a graduate of Stanford. Two words: Thank God. :)

May 4, you can't come soon enough! 

So what is the lesson learned today?  Have faith. Be positive. And as my very wise husband says:

"Believe in yourself."  

No comments:

Post a Comment