Image Map

Saturday, January 18, 2014

15 Things Nobody Tells You About Being Pregnant

1.) How is it that your stomach gets bigger, your chest gets bigger, your butt gets bigger, your appetite gets bigger, your mood swings get bigger.... But your bladder doesn't get even a teeny tiny bit bigger? In fact, I think it shrinks. I mean come on... bathroom trips every 15 minutes?



2.) The "nesting" instinct is no joke. Laugh all you want but the urge to clean the toilet when you're running 10 minutes late is beyond your control. I look around the house after a long 10 hour work day and can't fight the urge to wash the cabinet doors. (Because apparently baby will be licking the cabinets in the near future?) 

3.) The phrase, "You look like you're going to pop" will make you want to pop someone upside the head.  Really?  Thank you for making me feel like a whale when I still have 8 weeks to go.  I wish giving birth were that easy... hours of contractions, pain, pushing, and tearing versus... POP, you just had a baby!  Wouldn't that be nice.  Oh- and if you decide to proceed that phrase with, "Are you sure there's not two in there?"... you will not get pleasant looks. 



4.) There a lot of extra fluids. If you are pregnant or have ever been, you know what I mean. No further explanation needed.

5.) Feeling baby kick is the most beautiful feeling in the entire world. I wish all of you could feel it! With that being said, (and sorry if this is TMI) when baby decides that my ribs or cervix are a punching bag... not as fun!

6.) Registering for baby items is a lot like walking though a foreign market where you can't read the language. Bumbo, wubbanub, boppy, halo sleep sack, tommee tippee, mommaroo... I mean, really? Don't babies just need diapers, clothes, and Mom's chest? 

7.) On that note... then there's the brands and styles to choose from. Chicco vs. Graco carseats, Crib bumpers vs. no crib bumpers, slow flow vs. fast flow bottle nipples, Co-sleeper vs. Pack & Play, Medela vs. Ameda breast pumps, Dr. Brown's vs Aventflo bottles, Huggies vs Pampers. Overwhelmed yet?  Me neither. Oh, and of course everyone says about every item, "Don't trust anything other than ______."  

7.)  You will have your belly touched by complete strangers. 


8.)  Those same strangers will give you completely unsolicited advice and opinions. 
"You're still working? Are you sure the long hours are good for the baby?" 
"Are you going to breast feed? If you don't, your baby will suffer." 
"I had the worst labor ever- 36 hours of horrendous pain and screaming. I thought I was going to die." And my all time favorite, "Boys are so much harder than girls- I'm so sorry." Why thank you, random stranger. I'm glad you think your opinion will change the ridiculous amount of love I already have for my unborn son. 

9.) You will also receive the most amazing compliments that make your day/week/month/year. A girl at the gym said to me the other day, "I just wanted to let you know I think you are the cutest pregnant girl ever." Definitely a boost in the right confidence direction when you feel like an expanding balloon (who apparently, as discussed in #3, is going to pop)!

10.) If you are lucky and have an amazingly supportive husband, he will think you look the better and more attractive than you ever have and tell you he loves you more every day.

11.) Sleeping is all you want to do some days but unfortunately the last thing you can do.



12.) On that note, pillows will become your best friend. Between the legs, under the ribs, behind the back, in front of your stomach.  Just apologize to your significant other now. He will be spooning pillows instead of you for the last two months of your pregnancy.

13.) Cravings aren't as ridiculous as people make them out to be.  Yes, I want to eat pickles. Yes, I like mushrooms dipped in ranch dressing. But I liked both of those things before getting pregnant too. (I know, the mushroom thing is weird.) With that being said, cravings are a serious business.  When "baby says" I need some lemonade, ice cream, or candy, you'd better believe I will get my hands on some lemonade, ice cream, or candy.



14.)  Working out will make you feel like a million bucks.  Except for the days it makes you want to die.  But mostly it will make you feel like a million bucks!  :)  I am so happy I have been able to work out (usually) 6 days/week and run throughout most of the pregnancy so far.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel exactly like it used to when there is a giant watermelon-sized uterus filled with baby and fluid pushing down on your pelvis and pressing up into on your lungs... but I feel so much more empowered and strong after getting my heart rate up!  And as my OB pointed out, recent studies have shown there are immense benefits for not only active mommas but their babies as well.  


15.) Most importantly... Being pregnant is by far the most rewarding and amazing experience of my life thus far. I love it so much more than I ever thought I would!  I am sorry for all of the mommas out there that have horrendous symptoms and vomit all day every day for 9 months.  I think I would have a completely different perspective if I had to live with that day in and day out.  But luckily being pregnant  has been a lot of fun! It is truly a miracle & I thank God every day I am able to experience all of the joys and challenges.  

Now, if you'll excuse me... I must go clean the house and eat some ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. I like your honesty :)

    The unsolicited advice/comments from strangers would want to make me kick people in the shins continuously!

    I thought you might enjoy the latest Salomon Running TV ep about ultra runner Kasie Enman (on running while pregnant). It's called "The Mother". Inspiring.

    http://youtu.be/oauocB3p9lM

    ReplyDelete