Image Map

Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Last Weekend in Paradise...

This weekend was a perfect way to end my 13 month stay in San Diego. Saturday morning started bright and early when I volunteered as a RaceGuard for a great cause.  It was the 3rd annual Finish Chelsea's Run.  The run was created after a horrible crime took a young girl's life in 2010.

(From the Chelsea's Light Foundation website:)

"Chelsea King was a 17-year-old Poway High School student who will always be remembered for her compassionate heart and positive spirit. On a sunny Thursday afternoon, February 25, 2010, Chelsea disappeared after setting out for a run in a San Diego community park. Law enforcement and thousands of volunteers searched for days, until they finally found her body in a shallow grave just off the trail she was running on, by Lake Hodges. Chelsea was the victim of a horrific crime committed by a convicted sex offender who later confessed and plead guilty to taking Chelsea’s life. In the weeks following her passing... a handful of members of the San Diego running community were so affected by her loss that they asked some of their friends to meet one Saturday to finish the run Chelsea started on February 25 in Rancho Bernardo Community Park. Word quickly spread and on the morning of March 20, 2010 more than 3,500 community members joined together to run and walk in solidarity with, and in honor of Chelsea, who they adopted as one of their own. The annual run/walk is now the primary fundraiser for the Chelsea’s Light Foundation Sunflower Scholarship Fund, providing scholarships for San Diego County college-bound teens who have embraced characteristics that embodied Chelsea’s academic prowess and service-over-self ethic."


Although I did not know Chelsea, it was a very emotional day as over 5000 people came out to support such a worthy cause!  Being a RaceGuard was very fun because I got to run the course twice, cheer on fellow athletes, and keep an eye out for injured runners or walkers.  Luckily, there were no injuries to report!  And that includes me!  Another pain free, awesome run.  I am on cloud 9.  Did I ever mentioned how much I hated being injured?

My friends from 10MW were there too! 
I was able to sneak in a few hours of studying after the race, then it was time for my friend Becca's bridal shower!  Delicious tea, funny stories, and baked goods galore.  It was a fun afternoon and I'm so excited for her wedding in just 6 weeks!  She'll make a gorgeous bride. :)



After the shower, I'll give you one guess as to what I did.  And no, it wasn't "go to the beach."  (Although that's what I dreamed of doing... I would like to thank San Diego for providing me with one final 80 degree, sunny, glorious day to make me wonder why I'm leaving this place!) Yep, more studying.  And packing. And dreaming about the beach.

This morning I did something huge.  I did a 15 mile trail run!  WAHOO! It was a beautiful run with my friend, Linda (pictured in the RaceGuards picture above!), through Penasquitos Canyon.  7.5 out, 7.5 back with a nice light cloud cover to keep us cool!


It felt phenomenal, at least it felt phenomenal until a had a face plant on the trail.  You must know that I sometimes forget how to lift my feet and somehow end up having fights with the pavement, trails, and grass.  Luckily, there were no lasting injuries (other than my ego, of course).  Just a few sweet bruises and scrapes on my knees and elbows to add to the growing collection of scars. War wounds add character, right? 


The rest of my day consisted of refueling at delicious Panera, studying with my study-buddy, Alia, and alternating icepacks between the elbows and knees.  

Tomorrow is my last day in San Diego. The day will consist of packing my car, cleaning my room, and attempting to study as much as possible.  Then tomorrow night, my running buddies and I are meeting for a final "hurrah" run and dinner/drinks after.  It's a good alternative to the pity party I was going to have instead.

San Diego, I am really going to miss you.  



No comments:

Post a Comment