Image Map

Monday, November 4, 2013

Day 4: Bravery

Today I am grateful for:

My new job.... and courage.


My job is amazing.  Every day you get to help someone; change their life for the better.  I walk into the room with open ears, an inquisitive mind, and a caring heart.  I love seeing my patients get better from a sickness, see the effects of lifestyle changes in their weight and overall health, and feel improvement after taking a medication I know will improve their wellbeing.  It pretty much rocks.  


Unfortunately, today I had to do something that nobody ever wants to do.  I received a call from a Radiologist this morning that a patient has a large mass in their lung that was extending into the mediastinum with enlarged lymph nodes (which essentially means it has spread).  The patient's only symptom was coughing up blood once.

It literally broke my heart to have to sit with a patient and share this news.  How do you tell someone that their life is going to change drastically?  How do you take someone's world and turn it upside down?  

With compassion and honesty.  You look in their eyes with tears in your own and share what you know. You pause and allow them to cry and gather their thoughts.  You ask what they want to know and share what you can to help them understand.  You explain that you don't know everything and they need more studies, but that they will need to see an oncologist.  You say things like cancer and survival rates.  You make sure they understand.  You listen.  You tell them they are supposed to feel scared, angry, sad, regretful, and shocked.  You hold their hand and tell them the next step.  Then you repeat all of the above again until they are ready to take that next step.

It was one of the the hardest things I've ever done.  I am so grateful to have had the strength and courage to  guide someone through the worst news they will ever receive.


If you smoke, please quit.  Most states have local nonprofit organizations (like this one) that provide free support groups, gum &/or patches, and learning materials.

And because I'm an educator at heart...


Be grateful for a healthy body and mind.  Many would trade in a second to be in your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment