Image Map

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gym Culture

Oh Mr. Elliptical... how I haven't missed you. Since my running has been (mostly) feeling better the last two months, I've been on an elliptical strike because... well... it's probably the most boring workout ever. It's been a few weeks since I last did the elliptical and I wish I could say that today's workout was super fun, but it turns out its still as boring as I remember!

I decided to take today off from running because I'm going to try a longish run tomorrow to see how my hamstring feels. This little race called the Boston Marathon is in just 9 days and I'm starting to get a little nervous about this lingering pain. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

While on the elliptical, the only thing that kept me going was thinking of Banana Cream Pie. This gym tortures you by playing Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" while attempting to get in a solid workout. The "best cream pie Bobby Flay ever ate" was a pie with 3 decadent layers of banana/creamy custard in a graham cracker crust. Pretty sure I'll be making that in the near future. Paula Deen came on after that and thanks to her I'll be dreaming about butter-soaked everything all day :)

It's hard to hold your hand still on the elliptical and take a picture without looking creepy.
That's supposed to be a delicious cream pie.

After drooling and sweating for an hour on the elliptical, I decided to try something new.  Thanks to Janae at Hungry Runner Girl, I was inspired to give the Rowing Machine a shot.  One word: OW.  Holy burning muscles.  My glutes, traps, biceps, hands, and even my eyeballs were screaming at me.  (The eyeballs mainly because I was dripping sweat into them.)  I am officially hooked on rowing and will be incorporating it as my cross training at least once a week.  If you are an injured runner and want to get a workout "high" like you get from running, you must try rowing.  I promise you'll love it.


Love.
While rowing my heart out, I had the perfect people-watching spot.  And you know what?  The gym is a funny place.

Here are some of my favorite parts of gym culture:

1.) I have decided gyms hold an international conference and must sign an agreement that they will not turn on AC. Ever. Oh it's 80 degrees and there are no fans? You wanted to sweat while standing still, right?

2.) The matchy-matchy outfits. I wish I had that much coordination. My workout clothes are usually picked out in the dark and I end up look like a rainbow threw up on me.

3.) The infamous grunters. Need I say more?

4.) Those that drink coffee or eat snacks while working out. That's one tough stomach.

5.) Those that are wearing so many layers they look like they're about to embark on an Antarctic expedition. Please reference number 1. I'm no doctor... but I don't think you actually burn more calories by wearing your down coat. You will lose weight, but it's all in sweat.

6.) The milk jugs used as a water bottle.  How many hours are you planning on working out?

7.) Mirrors everywhere.  There's nothing like seeing yourself dripping sweat, red-faced, and out-of-breath to increase self-confidence and body-image.

8.) That curly haired girl from Alaska in mismatching clothes that always brings in stacks of paper and notecards to study. Does she not have a life? (No, the answer is no.... but soon she will after the PANCE!)

:) It's a funny place.  But you know what?  Regardless of outfit, workout technique, or surroundings, it was pretty awesome to see everyone working out at the gym bright and early on a Saturday morning! Definitely a great way to start the weekend!

Do any of you have favorite a favorite part of being a gym-goer?

And now back to my entertainment for the rest of the day....


At least I have Ashley to keep me company!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through HRG...love it and good luck at Boston!

    But as for the poor girl studying on the bike/elliptical, cut her some slack. I took the bar exam a few years ago and definitely studied at the gym. You can only sit still for so long! Plus, when you factor in the $4k to take the exam, plus the $$ thousands to take the prep course, it's pretty important to pass.

    But those water jugs...what's with that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Thanks for saying hello!! Wow, you are amazing! I can't even imagine how hard the bar exam must have been. I guess I should have clarified that a little better... the curly-haired girl in mismatching clothes is me! I'm studying for the Physician Assistant board exam :) And like you said, after studying for 10 hours, it is nice to have a change of scenery even if I do end up dropping half of my flash cards on the ground throughout the workout!! :) Where are you from?! I hope you have an amazing weekend!!

      Delete